It’s that time of year again. It’s the week of Spring Break. If your house is anything like our house – the laundry is piled high, there is a list a mile long of things to do before we leave, the school has piled on homework to make sure the kids know they are serious, and everyone is in real need of a little sun, rest, and relaxation.
Here are a few tips to help get the most out of your week
- Enjoy the trip. Whether by plane, train or car you can make the most of your travel time by enjoying the “traveling” part. Stop at a roadside attraction or sightseeing spot and take in the view. Got a long layover? Bring cards or another portable game and play the time away.
- Go for a walk. Not a power walk. Not for exercise. Just for fun. Soak in where you are.
- Buy from the local shops and restaurants. Nothing makes you feel like you are away from home than seeing the locals. You don’t have to be in another country to know this. Not only are you helping the local economy but you get the benefit of experiencing the community.
- Take pictures. Not just posed pictures. Get those casual moments and the awkward ones. Practice your photography. You’ll love those pictures someday.
- Be unscheduled. Even if you are on a cruise or at Disney where schedules dominate try to remember that you (and your kids) live in a schedule dominated world of work, school, sports, and other activities. To really relax on vacation you need some “scheduled” free time. Time that allows each person to discover what they want to do. That makes everyone feel like they had a real vacation.