A simple Guide to Jazz Fest .
Here is a simple guide to packing for a wonderful JazzFest.
• Pack light. You don’t need much. A few light clothes and a rain jacket.
• Comfortable shoes that you don’t mind getting muddy. Keens or sneakers are great. You walk a lot.
• Tickets. Pick your days. Do it your way. There is no right way to enjoy the festival.
• Smart phone w the Official Jazzfest App – Gives the grids and schedules, maps and updates.
• Sunscreen. It’s HOT and sunny in Louisiana!
• You need a Hat!!
• A light waterproof backpack, and a plastic bag for your phone
• A folding chair…We use a little tripod seat. If you bring a blanket it will likely get stepped on.
• Wipes, hand sanitizer and bandaids
• An appetite. You’ll get some of the best of New Orleans at the fairgrounds.
• Cash- You will want some money for food, drinks and souvenirs. Bring a couple hundred dollars – preferably in smaller denominations.
I’ll be just take my Osprey backpack as a carry-on and using my Gobigear Hobo-roll as a daypack.
My husband and I have decided, after an extended family RTW trip, to venture out on shorter trips that incorporate our love of travel with our love of live music. Over the course of many years together we have had the opportunity to see hundreds of concerts. Sometimes we see legends that are still on the road. Other times we have had the good fortune of catching new talent as they are just emerging. Recently we have had the opportunity to see such acts as My Morning Jacket,the Avett Brothers, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, Old Crow Medicine Show, Steve Earle, Foo Fighters, Alabama Shakes and Mumford and Sons. These talented bands could play anywhere and be great. However, sometimes the venue adds to the experience – like when we saw Springsteen (solo and acoustic) at the Louisville Palace or Mumford and Sons with Old Crow and Jerry Douglas at the Ryman Auditorium. Just as we built an itinerary for our year abroad by discussing the places we dreamed of going, we’ve begun to plan this undertaking with a conversation about our wildest fantasy concerts and venues. In a manner of minutes, while driving on the interstate, we created the following short list of musicians/bands we would love to see and the venue we would prefer to see them in…
Prince at the Apollo
Red Hot Chili Peppers at the Hollywood Bowl
U2 at Red Rocks
MMJ at the Louisville Palace
Neil Young at The Bridge School Benefit
REM at 40 Watt Club
Bruce Springsteen in Italy
Comment and tell us who you would love to see and where you would most like to see them. Make a list, share it here, and hit the road. We are!
Update as of 3/17/14
Upcoming shows for the Wayfaring Family:
Bruce Springsteen In Cincinnati April ’14
Jazzfest ’14 Second Weekend : New Orleans (Watch for posts about our favorite Festival!!!)
ForcastleFest Louisville , Kentucky
Old Crow Medicine Show
Dawes /Conor Oberst